Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New Player Experience

Discussion in 'Project Suggestions' started by Statusquo, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Statusquo

Statusquo Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

WARNING LONG POST AHEAD!
    I know these kinds of posts generally get over looked beacuse they are boring and dont really effect alot of us so we toss them to the way side. But i truely believe that if we are gonna have a thriving darkfall game these things need to be talked about more. I just had an idea in my head i wished to share. When a vet logs in to darkfall (especially with these gains) 20 hours is a life time. When a BRAND new player to darkfall, doesn't know a sickle from a 1 handed axe. When these players log in 20 hours might as well be 10 minutes. So how do we keep these players safe and enthralled in the game? It starts with a SAFE ZONE.

ahhh safe zones the Taboo of darkfall.. I know people don't like safe zones because they can be abused in this game but here is how i think they could work and not be abused.

1. Take away the 20 hour noob protection. 20 hours like i said is not enough time to some and too long for others. In its place just give a noob protection for as long as the player wants. The catch here? while in the safe zone all your skills have a level cap, say you can only raise them to level 2. And maybe higher for greater and lesser magic so they can start their elemental magics. You are not maxed but you are not gimped either. This prevents vets from maxing out with no fear of getting jumped. Then if players decide its time to leave the safe zone they can walk out of the area and they will get all the warnings they are leaving the safe zone and their noob protections behind never to get them back and then they can either stay there or move on and join the rest of the darkfall world. I would also like a warning that would trigger if a new player left the zone without getting certain skills or magic so they understand that they are missing a lot of stuff that could save them. something that would trigger if they were missing like greater magic or some skills that are deemed almost needed to kill and survive.

2. harvesting- Make the nodes in the safe zones not worth someones while to make an alt and gather on. This way again vets wont come in and set up an alt to just gather all day and night. Ideally if the game has a large influx of players to it the nodes wont be an issue anyways due to legit players gathering them. So this isn't really a big issue in the long run.

3. Ports to other safe zones. I have heard before from new players i want to leave to go to X place but dont want to lose my protections. Ok this can be fixed have a central port in the capital cities that will port you to another starter capital, but the only way to use these ports is you need to still have your noob protections. this also opens up the ability for friends to make two different races and still play with one another. Again if we are talking about vets abusing it for travel we kind of get rid of that with the previous point of making a requirement you need noob protections to use the ports.

4. Have a Optional quest line - Alot of players came into Darkfall without the slightest idea that there were quests to do. Why not just give every character that logs in a quest line that they can choose to follow up. First quest would pop up on screen telling you to talk to the fighter to get your starter melee weapons and the mage for your starter staff. Then from there have them pick if they want to continue to do the quest line for the nectar or just go out into the world and fight and gather or what ever. Through this quest line you can have them kill mobs with either a bow or a staff or a melee weapon, all elements aimed at showing them there are lots of things to do in the game and lots of skills to be had.

Anyways this is just an idea that ive been thinking up in my head. Anyways you slice it new players absolutely need more love and soon.

#1 Statusquo, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    MikeJT likes this.
  2. MikeJT

MikeJT Varangian Warthane
    Supporter

I think the rate of levelling is already to the point that once someone has hit the end of their noobie protection they should be sufficiently levelled. Not the strongest toon but sufficiently levelled. Enough of a factor that if you put them in a suit of decent armor and give them R40 weapons they'll still add decent amounts of DPS in a group.

I was a big advocate of reducing the grind, and even I'd say the grind reduction has maybe gone a little too far? Especially in the lower ends.

Most spells go from 0.05 to 1 in maybe 3-4 casts and this is insane.

Right now low end mobs inside the noob protection area are simply too weak for noobs. Noobs stay and farm them for title quests but really they're gimping their bank balance by staying too long. I definitely think new players should have an opportunity to wrap their heads around the controls/UI before the timer starts though.

Might not be a major issue out of 24 hours but if they have no idea what they're doing letting them rebind controls/figure out chat windows and UI and ask a few questions in the New Players section before the time starts would be great. Maybe spawn them in town and give them until they leave the walls before their timer starts.

Harvesting adjustments have already been made with the nodes in other areas dropping at x3 the rate of nodes in capital area. I don't really see how they could make nodes in capital area and less unappealing without taking rares of them entirely, which would suck for noobs as rares are always a nice little cash injection.

3 and 4 are solid ideas.

Hopefully when they introduce the portal network they'll let new players go between capital areas.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Statusquo likes this.
  3. Statusquo

Statusquo Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

ok yeah when i wrote this whole idea up nodes were still crazy good even inside noob areas so that is subject to change. but yes i agree i think there should be some challenging mobs for new players to face off with to get their hands around what a real fight might be like.

4. MikeJT

MikeJT Varangian Warthane
    Supporter

Tend to agree with that.

Maybe instead of scaling, some mobs should do something like, I dunno, spawn a Goblin Warlord like a mini boss fight?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Statusquo

Statusquo Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

yeah something that maybe you and a buddy need to tackle to let them know that not all mobs are push overs. kind of like how wow had quests that would suggest you group with 2 other people well they could implement kind of the same idea here.