Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Lower Ping via firewall

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by KeredCaltith, Jul 14, 2017.

1. KeredCaltith

KeredCaltith New Member

By default windows blocks inbound connections.
    darkfall roa\darkfall_roa.exe is the lobby. firewall exception prompt on first run

Darkfall RoA\data\darkfall.exe is the client, I had to manually create the firewall rule, lowered my ping by about 5

??Darkfall RoA\data\sfbrowser.exe might help too??

2. HiramA

HiramA Goblin Warrior

Firewalls are either going to allow or deny 100% of traffic either way. I'm not sure how manually allowing RoA would lower ping. The application/port(s) have be allowed on each level you have a firewall or you won't be able to play at all.

I haven't looked at a pcap of the connections but I assume your PC talks out first so any stateful/modern firewall should allow the traffic back in without having to write a rule.

Ansem likes this.
  3. Ansem

Ansem Skeleton Archer
    ANN Reporter

[​IMG]

If your firewall isn't allowing the game you're not connecting.

4. HiramA

HiramA Goblin Warrior

The only thing I could think of that could cause this would be having so many firewall rules written that processing them adds 5ms of delay to the connection.

If a new rule for RoA was written and placed as the first rule processed then maybe it would improve the latency?

I just don't know how you ever think "writing a firewall rule will lower my ping."

5. Caer

Caer Goblin Warrior

No way it could take 5ms, that's _ALOT_, computers are fast.
    It's just a random ping fluctuation. My ping varies throughout the day for way more than 5ms.

MikeJT likes this.
  6. HiramA

HiramA Goblin Warrior

Yeah, perhaps I should have emphasized the "SO many rules" part of my sentence... but that would be a ludicrous amount of rules.

In the end, a firewall rule lowering ping makes no sense... as I think we all agree.

MikeJT likes this.
  7. MikeJT

MikeJT Spellgazer
    Supporter

This reminds me of the TCP_NODELAY arguments people used to get into.

I'm sure you're seeing random error and mistaking it for an actual change in your ping.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature