Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Is this game a gankfest?

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by xxbidiao3, Jul 6, 2017.

1. xxbidiao3

xxbidiao3 New Member

This seems to be a very stupid question but it's kind of important to me since I play solo and PVE. Is it that if I solo, I'll be ganked to the point that I can't even gather equipment for normal grinding anymore?

I would like to play this game casually and clanlessly (My habit is to get online at a random time for 1 hour, disappear arbitrary long time (1 day to 1 month if I got busy in real life), then go back), Since this game seems to be full PVP (people can steal anything when they kill me?) I would like to know whether this is an option.

#1 xxbidiao3, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Ansem

Ansem Skeleton Archer
    ANN Reporter

I play solo often and many people do, however, you will always run the risk of being jumped while traveling or farming, that's simply part of the game. I recommend getting good at escaping, getting good at fighting outnumbered, or joining a clan that doesn't care about your activity.

TL;DR - You might get 1v1s from time to time, but yes, you will also be ganked.

3. xxbidiao3

xxbidiao3 New Member

Thank you for your reply! That doesn't seem to be good... I assume anyone trying to jump over me is far stronger than me and are ready to one shot me for gold. Anything like a (strong, not a facial one) red name penalty for them if they repeatedly gank me?

4. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

There are many spawns that are within tower distance that you shouldnt have much difficulty running to if you do end up getting jumped

Ansem likes this.
  5. Ansem

Ansem Skeleton Archer
    ANN Reporter

I recommend assuming off the bat that everyone in darkfall is not friendly. Again, best practice is to join a clan that will not care about how much you play, or solo safer spawns until you are stronger.

Kwatos likes this.
  6. xxbidiao3

xxbidiao3 New Member

Get it, this seems to be the way. Since I have just started I had to learn a lot.

7. Volfen

Volfen Windlord
    Legend

If you try to farm popular spots you will probably die repeatedly. You can often find OK farming spots and grind mostly uncontested for a while, and if the area gets hot you can move on to a new one. Getting jumped doesn't necessarily mean you will die, as long as you learn to be aware of your surroundings and keep your stats decent, plus a mount or 2 on you at all times, and even more so once you learn to bunnyhop (very easy to pick up the basics of it, but takes a while to master). If you get jumped by one guy, he's probably going to be at least a decent player; if it's more than one, you're probably best off running away unless you're waaaay above their skill level.

Killing a "good" player (positive alignment) costs alignment. Once you hit -1 alignment, you're red and over half the NPC towns become inaccesible to you, since the NPC towers till zap you dead if you stick around for a little bit. Below -200 alignment, you basically can't use any NPC town with a tower, leaving you only clan cities and chaos cities (and towerless banks here and there). Additionally, capital recall (teleports you to your race's capital NPC town, with cooldown and cost being tied to alignment) is only available to people with positive alignment.

With all that said, you will probably need to farm at least an average of 30 minutes a day (or a lot more until you figure things out and have a somewhat ready character) in order to afford to keep your meditation going past the first couple of weeks. Meditation is the only reasonably fast way to level most stats that doesn't involve resource gathering (tedious semi-afk crap), you basically consume about 6k med points (can be bought for 1 gold each) per day and it passively levels something of your choosing, even when offline. While you can have an OK character stat-wise with just a month ish of meditation, you'll still be at a significant disadvantage vs someone who may not only have max stats, but also (and more importantly) a lot more practice.

Kwatos and WyLd_SyDe like this.
  8. Ringo Starr

Ringo Starr Deadeye

If you inform yourself beforehand you gonna have no problems at all. You have 24hours newby protection and should use that. 24hours ingame are already a very long time for a casual player.
    Afterwards I would even as a casual pve player find a clan. It will just open up better spawns for you. But even if you dont there are plenty of chaoscitys to live out. Some people will be friendly others wont, better to assume they are not.
    Its not super hard to build a bank if you know what you are doing. But if you completely new to the game and know nothing it helps if you have people recommening s pawns to you and come to your rescue if you get jumped.

Kwatos likes this.
  9. Tonyjablowme

Tonyjablowme New Member

If you want to play clanless and solo do yourself a favor and don't play this game. It's not meant for you.
    This game is all about zerging it up and if you play solo you are just gonna have a bad time, all these people telling you its ok to be solo been playing for years.

Ch4r4x, kingp43, Daym and 1 other person like this.
  10. Talkin Bidness

Talkin Bidness Goblin Warrior

From what you posted in the OP this is not a game for you. You'll never have a decent character with such low playtime and solo play is god awful.

11. Inositol

Inositol Black Knight
    Supporter

Darkfall's a very hardcore game, and it requires at least a moderate time commitment.

The top 1% of DF players can play solo, the rest will endure a never ending struggle.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  12. Rumplemintz

Rumplemintz Goblin Warlord

Solo is just to hard. You will find yourself becoming content for other people more often than not.

A good clan is when I started having fun, I even made a post here on this forum called "new player experience" or whatever, and I was pretty upset. But that was because...well...I was basically playing solo. I had a clan but didnt really have a clan if you know what I mean. That clan had a core group that always played together and well, being an odd man out I did things for myself and doing that found myself at risk way more than I needed to be.

The thing is this. Like any pvp game there is ganking in DF, except when you die you will lose stuff. Something you lose is going to trigger you, for me its spell regs. I can lose all the armor and weapons without much complaint. But when I lose my last 100 regs to pvp and I have to buy more, for some reason that pisses me off more than anything. However the thing is, in Darkfall the majority of pvp takes place at a NPC spawn. Which means 2 players who are not PVEing are going to attack a player pveing. They will probably also attack you while your below half health and fighting 2-3 npcs as well. The thing that really gets me is that this game has 3 minute god mode buffs that insure players like you and myself who do venture out solo will 100% lose every time. The buffs are "buff other" only so a solo player does not have access to them without a buff bot. How severe are they? Were talking 90% haste + major defense.

You can play 1 of 2 ways as a solo player when farming/skilling:

1. Take out a robe and 75-100 of each reg, and return to bank often. This means you will want to fight grinding spots with banks close by. If you do this method take out r30 weapons. DO NOT FIGHT BACK IF JUMPED. Due to inferior equipment you will lose, but most likely they are buffed so even if you had r50/60 to fight back you would be losing it. Always carry 2 mounts so you can get away.

2. Take out r50/60 weapons and gear to the teeth. Try to always stay above 75% health and you may be able to fight back when jumped. At least your equipment will not be at a disadvantage. But this is the only way to go if you want to fight a ganker back.

That said, option 1 is a way better option than number 2. Number 2 will lead to empty bank and zero gold pretty fast if your new.

13. rikilii

rikilii Spellgazer

The answer is Yes, and that's what's so awesome about it, even if you are solo PVEing.

14. Darktide

Darktide Crypt Guard

You always run the risk of being jumped but i can tell you this.
    Since ive been back (Almost 2 weeks now) I've only been attacked by one player. If you stay towards starter area's you can farm pretty freely without disruption. Just farm items for an hour, go back and bank.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  15. fairyfloss

fairyfloss Goblin Scout

Only ever been jumped once and i ended up beating the fool, every other time i see people while killing mobs they either ignore me or chuck me some heals buffs then go on there way. But ive been guildless from the start. Having a clan tag might be a different story

16. Goblin Archer

Goblin Archer New Member

I play solo most of the time. Yeah, solo play is harder. You skill up a lot slower, no crossbuffs, no clan crafters to help you out, etc. Some solo players just used a clan to get stronger then left. If you want a challenge and accomplishment, stay solo and do it all yourself. (Big respect to solo players that went red the first day. You are crazy.) You'll be a lot better player facing unfair odds. You will spend a bit more time running from zergfests though. I've had countless 1v1 turn into 1v2-3s quick. Though you can't fault zergs, playing solo is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

17. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Deadeye
    Legend

Nobody is really playing right now so no you wouldn't get ganked all the time, but if there was a population then yes it's a gank feast. I hope this help. I can't help feeling this is a troll post to be honest.