Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I Want to Mage - Need Advice on Armor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BluntedJ, May 19, 2017.

1. BluntedJ

BluntedJ New Member

I really hate this game. ;) Which is to say, I am having a very visceral experience - half the time I am paranoid, half the time I am pissed. But after each session (even ones that last into the wee hours of the morning) I realize I did have fun. I can say that looking back. Just like a crack head.

Anyway, part of my frustration lies in not being leveled up, struggling to get gold and essences. I always play a Mage, and want to here. But I am going to step back and do more melee since reagents are EXPENSIVE.

I primarily used a Robe/Hood. My Robe barely gets scratched when I encounter mobs. I use a 2H Greatclub for melee.

Because I am going to temporarily focus more on melee, I decided to use vendor bought studded armor with other pieces that are not found with studded. BUT, man I go out and hunt mobs and my gear gets wrecked quickly. So no my problem is instead of sinking gold into reagents, I am now sinking gold into armor.

I was told I should get some Bone armor. And I have the materials for someone in my clan to make them. Is it a good idea to use a Hood, since any other helm seems to give a penalty to magic usage?

And what about my feels for the Mage? I just want to wear a robe! Is there a possibility that cosmetically I will be able to wear a Robe at some point in the future over my Bone armor?

Thanks. Sorry for the rambling. Trying to kill some mobs for essences. :)

MWTaylor likes this.
  2. brahji

brahji Black Knight
    Legend

Robes unfortunately not ideal in any situation. Competitive armor is broken down in to two categories, light and heavy. Light is leather/studded/bone etc. while heavy is plate/full plate/infernal/dragon etc. mages shoot for low ecumberance which means mostly light armor with some heavy pieces mixed in when you start enchanting gear. Robes are basically only used to scroach or try to get a quick kill on someone and gear up quick.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    BluntedJ likes this.
  3. Frog

Frog Varangian Warthane
    Hero

A full bone armor set won't negatively affect magic very much at all, it's worth the extra protections to use it for sure especially if you are meleeing mobs (if that's the case you may want to wear heavy armor while you do this). Also note that your armor is getting wrecked because you're buying it off the vendor which has 12 dura vs 40+ that crafted armor will have

As for wearing a robe in pvp, it's definitely viable once you get stoneskin (50 earth magic) and other protection wards but you'll always be at a disadvantage in melee if you do this

BluntedJ likes this.
  4. Zuul Ghat

Zuul Ghat Skeleton Archer
    Legend

If you plan to grind mobs doing mostly melee, then try using Banded or Scale. Yes it will lower your Mage DPS but it help you be a little more tankier. In this setups I will cast mostly rays and use melee.

With your studded armor setup are you also using Brawn and Stoneskin from the Earth school? Impetus from the Fire School? Stoneskin will add about 1.85 more protections to your armor and impetus will increase your melee speed.

The problem with vendor armor is that they are low in durability. Get these crafted and you will have twice the durability.

BluntedJ likes this.
  5. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

While heavier armor will definitely help, not all mobs are alike. Some are easier to kill with magic, some with melee. Don't expect to be able to stand toe to toe with all mobs you were able to kite around and kill with magic, especially since your melee skills are probably much lower than your magic skills if you have been grinding them. Strength, Vitality, Quickness, GreatClub skill, Greatclub mastery will go a long way when trying to level your melee. I would start small at easier mobs until you get a feel for it, then work your way up to harder mobs once you think you can take them. Buffs and debuffs will be really helpful when in melee if you have them. Haste from a friend lets you swing (and make gains) much faster, ironskin from a friend increases your melee protections greatly, then there are all the self buffs (str, quick, stoneskin). If you happened to level up water magic or necromancy you will have access to bludgeoning weakness and slow (melee slow - opposite of haste), hit as many mobs as you can with these debuffs before pushing melee - one of your biggest advantages as a mage using melee is your ability to buff/debuff.

KingLlama, BluntedJ and Zuul Ghat like this.
  6. Tuloth

Tuloth Infernal
    Hero

DarkFall's mages wear bone armor as their standard gear, robes are essentially only used to not be naked. If you open up your paper doll, while wearing a full set of bone armor with leather boots and gloves, you will notice that your magic encumbrance is actually at 0. This is because you have a hidden skill called "armor proficiency" which reduces the encumbrance of armor by 20, meaning that your bone armor is essentially weightless as far as ability to use magic is concerned. You can increase this number further with enchants.

I personally very much enjoy the Darkfall armor system, and getting to mix and match armor to get the highest protections with the lowest encumbrance.

I made this tool in google docs if you really want to get into min/maxing encumbrance and staying under a certain amount.

Fengor, Kalos, BluntedJ and 2 others like this.
  7. Wing_Zero

Wing_Zero Goblin Shaman

+1

8. BluntedJ

BluntedJ New Member

Thank you all for the great replies!

Fengor likes this.