Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I have serious doubts about the removal of portal chambers in cities.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by RootedOak, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

No, they did not. Sorry but you pulled that one right out of your ass.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Myater likes this.
  2. MikeJT

MikeJT Varangian Warthane
    Supporter

Oh I'm sorry I thought you weren't absolutely clueless.

Nothing killed DFO pop like Portals did.

Ghost towns all over the map and entire areas of the map that were active went completely dead.

Portals gave the illusion of more activity to a handful of players who benefited whilst the rest quit the game.

All so a handful of players could get around the map easier.

3. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend

I don't know why you would go to the trouble to make up complete lies.

Myater and Owyn Magnus like this.
  4. MikeJT

Supporter

You were in NME. You were one of the clans that benefited from Portal Chambers.

Literally, areas of the map YOU NEVER VISITED, were hives of activity before Portal Chambers, and were completely dead not even 2 months after Portal Chambers.

So whilst you idiots were probably sitting there going "OH GEESH! WE'RE GETTING SO MANY NEW PLAYERS THE GAMES GOING GREAT! HURRR DURRR", the reality of the situation is that you got new players in your clan because THEIR CLANS DIED.

New players who PROBABLY would've joined one of numerous active clans were ending up in your clan because entire clans quit the game in weeks.

That's how I ended up I NME.

Do you understand that? Seriously do you need an infographic? YouTube video with some nice music and dry jokes to hold your attention for more than a minute?

If I have 10 people to feed, and 100 loaves of bread, if I kill 5 people, do I have more bread? No I don't! But to the 5 people who are left to feed they'll probably think there's a lot more bread.

#124 MikeJT, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend

I started Darkfall in a clan called BloodFEST that was in Hyperion. Hyperion was the largest exodus of players from Darkfall. When that whole alliance scattered or unsubbed, my clan moved to Ul'Salak with NME in the Ghost alliance. Every month the population lowered more and more. Then the portal chambers were released eventually to stymie the low population. Coincidentally, they fixed a ton of problems with Darkfall because they created more value in holdings and made the world smaller for the lower population.

Obviously nothing but good came from it. Maybe some people lost some holdings that shouldn't have in the transition, but it caused a real desire for players to DO something. To gain access to distant lands or remove their enemy's access. It wasn't that the portal patch releaesd and the game suddenly died. It was on a quick decline from the 3rd month and then sustained a low population until 2012 when it shut down. Mostly due to the portal chambers supporting the game world.

6. MikeJT

Supporter

Why fuck is Hyperion relevant to Portal Chambers?

Simply put... ITS NOT. Launch period population surge (something that happens in practically every game ever released ) and the subsequent sudden fall off is simply not relevant.

Lets talk about the period leading up to Portal Chambers, and the period immediately after it. You know, the time period where we can ACTUALLY SEE the impact of Portal Chambers?

Prior to portal chambers, small clans, clans of casual players, clans with no particularly good players, held hamlets. Some of the larger ones even held cities. Not particularly good cities, but they held them. These players lived in those cities, crafted in those cities, and PvE'd around those cities, and attracted plenty of PvP.

First thing that happened when portals were introduced is people dropped sieges on hamlets they previously had absolutely no interest in prior to Portal Chambers.

This displaced a whole bunch of clans who were living out of those holdings. Plenty of people rage quit. If they didn't rage quit the game some rage quit their clans and moved onto bigger stronger clans (giving those bigger stronger clans 1 less group of people to fight! YAY!)

Secondly, the subsequent population drop drove more people to quit, as attacks those clans were previously capable of defending were now a blood bath due to losing numerous players, sometimes their really good players.

This lead to even more people quitting because now they were losing every fight because they didn't have the numbers to compete with their attackers and the toon and gear gap was frequently insane and DF still had a significant grind (We're talking people who could show up in robes with a blackbolt and kill 3-4 new players so if someone like me wasn't around to help them out it was pretty much bye-bye gear, and if the noobs did win they got a robe, a 4 dura mob dropped and maybe 100 of every reg).

Fights went from being relatively fair and balanced, with low end toons fighting low end toons with a sprinkly of vet toon here and there, to either being completely non-existent (because the new owners just use them as a shortcut to get somewhere else), or completely one sided (because pretty much if one of those vets saw one of those noobs that noob was dead).

People stopped farming mobs in entire regions because the new owners of these hamlets with epic toons would roll through and rolfstomp anyone farming those spawns with zero effort. As such people's levelling rates were cut in half and it lead to an even greater exodus of players who went "Fuck this shit, I'm not grinding for the next 6 months to be able to compete with these assholes."

Anyone who managed to hold onto the holdings they had pretty much left them to rot because there was literally no activity in the area except for the occasional uber-toon vet who'd roll through and absolutely destroy people wearing gear half those noobs had never even owned.

Really strong clans took the best holdings of the worst and the strong but not quite as strong clans took what was left so they could save travel times.

Everyone that didn't quit ended up desperately trying to find a new clan, and got rolled into larger more powerful clans.

Of course, all those people from outside those areas who used to come to those areas to find PvP now went there and found no one, so I have no doubt a lot of those people subsequently quit as well, and on top of that, all the low end enchanting mats which people used to farm and sell from those low end mobs subsequently disappeared from the market making it harder for anyone intending to level enchanting to level, giving people even less reason to play the game.

But you know, Portals were great!

7. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend

It honestly saved the game from dying. You need to work on being more concise. Many wasted words here with no purpose.

8. MikeJT

Supporter

TL;DR version:

Portals killed the game. You have no clue what you're talking about.

You honestly believe your version of events is true because a bunch of people around you think your version of events is true, because most of the people who left DFO due to portals aren't here to argue otherwise. They're gone and they're probably not coming back.

I really don't know why I'm arguing with you. You're never going to change your mind. You're so absolutely certain that portals were good for the game, and you're probably one of the people who argued for them, so admitting they're bad for the game in the long run, is basically admitting that you helped kill DFO.

9. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend

I used to think you weren't a troll. Now I'm certain.

10. MikeJT

Supporter

I used to think you weren't an idiot. Now I'm certain.

You were an intolerable fool in DFO and you're an intolerable fool today.

RootedOak likes this.
  11. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend

Looks like I won here boys.

Sintan and Myater like this.
  12. MikeJT

Supporter

How did you win?

By denying any evidence contrary to your personally held belief?

By calling me a liar and a troll because my recollection of events and the impact of portals is different to yours?

Please explain. How did you win?

13. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend

Owyn Magnus and Myater like this.
  14. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

You do not have any evidence.

You are stating something that we are saying "nope, you are wrong."

We were there, leading clans and alliances throughout darkfalls life. We had more of a finger on the pulse of the game than you had.

Here I am assuming you were not a clan/alliance leader as evidenced by your comments.

We were ALWAYS keenly aware of the ebb and flow of DFO's population.

Portal Chambers, while may have caused some people to quit, did not in any way kill darkfall. Darkfall was already on its way down and the chambers actually helped for a while.

15. MikeJT

Supporter

I just face palmed IRL reading your comments.

Oh please wise leader of clan and/or alliance, share your wisdom with us clueless non clan leaders.

You're not offering any evidence either, apart from your personal opinion, and there's a strong disconnect between the leadership of clans (a minority), and the bulk of the Darkfall population.

"We had our finger on the pulse" isn't evidence. The fact you got a handful of new players as other active clans died, isn't evidence.

Portal chambers also did a great job of suppressing population growth as people rolling all over the map ganked new players all over the place.

Pre-portal chambers if the noobs managed to kill one of the vets that are farming them for gear, most didn't come back until the next day.

After portal chambers, if noobs killed a guy who was farming them for gear, they'd be back in under 20 minutes, frequently with a friend, because they were bound at a holding nearby, a "worthless holding", and the travel time to get back was minimal.

Spawns you could sit at and farm for hours without ever getting hit were getting attacked.

It would be easy to infer from this that "population is increasing". It simply wasn't. People just spent less time traveling so it was now worth their time hitting spawns they never bothered to hit before.

I'm really done arguing with people with their heads so far up their arse that they think their experience of DFO is more valid than other people's experience.

Your OPINION is no more valid than mine, so don't sit here on forums and tell me that portal chambers decreased the the rate of decline or even increased population, then call anyone who doesn't agree with your narrative a troll or a liar.

I have no doubt that portal chambers will have less of an effect on RoA than they did on DFO, because the grind is much shorter.

But that doesn't mean I think they'll be good for the game.

16. Grimtide

Grimtide Shadow Knight
    Legend

can you find my old thread on portal chambers too beargrim? @RootedOak

17. RootedOak

RootedOak Cairn Giant
    Legend