Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Hire Contractors

Discussion in 'Project Suggestions' started by Nat, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Nat

Nat Cairn Giant
    Legend

I hate to say it but these next few months are critical for Darkfall's future and without more manpower to develop the game then... yeah.

Hire some contractors temporarily to get shit done.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Deadeye
    Legend

While that is a neat idea and all. You may think it's that easy. So who is going to train the contractor? Someone has to spend time getting them aclimated to the code structure. It's takes time away from the other team members to stop and help the new person get up to speed to be able to start writing code. While that is happening the other stories or features that the current devs are working on are not getting worked on or are only getting 70% of the dev time it was getting before. So in the short term it is very disruptive. Contractors are short term they come and go and so does all the knowledge your team spents months teaching them. It is not the quick easy fix you think it's.

It's called Brook's Law and the analogy is "If it takes 1 women 9 months to have a baby, can 9 women have a baby in 1 month?" the answer of course is no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law

#2 Not_Primetime, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Neilk likes this.
  3. Sintan

Sintan Infernal
    Legend

Likely doesn't take knowledge of the code to create models on a wireframe to finish Infernal and Dragon

4. kilrain

kilrain Cairn Giant
    Developer

Modeling isn't an issue. We have 2 guys working on 3d modeling now and are staying busy. As for programming, like Not_Primetime mentions it's not that simple. We've had many, many faces come through the door only to bail before getting the local environment setup. A couple made it through and bailed after digging into the code.
    --- Post updated ---
    If someone were dedicated enough we knew they were going to stick around then it would be worth it to spend time with them. As the old saying goes, good help is hard to find.

5. The Cannibal

The Cannibal Goblin Shaman

peeps bailed because they saw 500k lines of spaghetti

6. kilrain

kilrain Cairn Giant
    Developer

500k would be nothing
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok, maybe not nothing, but there's def more than that :D
    --- Post updated ---
    And honestly I don't think the code is bad at all. I don't agree with some of the methods used. I find many to be too limiting. Otherwise it's easy to read.

The Cannibal likes this.
  7. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Deadeye
    Legend

I don't think that's what OP had in mind. I would imagine at this stage that stuff has already been done. But right that's all the game needs finish the armor and we're all good. :smirk:

8. Squanto

Squanto Crypt Guard
    Legend

As long as he's not gonna be getting paid in Trident Layers, hit up my boy @JetBoom
    Oh, and if your looking for someone who will work for Trident Layers.. hit up my homie @Animal

9. Animal

Animal Varangian Warthane
    Hero

Hussein still has the source code, so anyone can grab it and get an idea of what they'd be dealing with. I think I'll stick to my own thing for now :p It's definitely more fun writing your own code, rather than fixing or adding to someone else's.

10. MikeJT

MikeJT Celestial
    Supporter

What are you working on? Out of curiosity.

11. Animal

Hero

In my spare time I'm having fun writing a game engine.

Outside of fun, I'm training a NN to track members in a gym to provide feedback on workouts, lifting techniques, etc. I never really cared for statistics, so it's been... an adventure. -_-

12. Green Chili

Green Chili Earth Elemental
    Legend

@Animal

No Idea what a NN is, but if you are creating a weight training app that can more easily track weight/rep/sets/ you should let me test it.

More and more I hate constantly having to go back to my phone, unlock the screen, type the numbers, make a little note, then get ready for the next set, and repeating this 20-30x in an hour. A couple months ago I was thinking there at least needs to be a voice activated bluetooth tracker, so at least I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket/armband 100 times a day.

13. Animal

Hero

@Green Chili It's a bit more in-depth than a typical mobile app :p

NN = Neural Network(a convolutional NN in this case because of its application toward visual processing). I'm training the model with images and videos from popular youtube channels, competition lifters, and other physical trainers. The idea is that eventually we can put cameras in some of the gyms to track individuals and record their workouts(which turns out to be REALLY fucking hard to get right).

Think about being a noobie lifter with your headphones in while listening to a digital trainer providing real-time feedback to prevent injury, maximize results, etc, etc. (It's a bit more scalable for gyms than paying for trainers and cheaper for customers than charging $30-$??? per hour for someone that knows far less than the digital trainer)

14. Green Chili

Green Chili Earth Elemental
    Legend

@Animal

Sounds interesting man. Honestly, I've mostly only been in larger commercial gyms in the Midwest and lived in New Mexico for 6 years, but just going off physical appearance and occasionally overhearing some of the things they tell their clients, I'd say most gym trainers are not worth $5/hour.

Good luck with your project.

Animal likes this.
  15. johntrikone

johntrikone Skeleton Archer
    Legend

hey if you need any help on this (idk how I would, but) I did just spend 2 years studying to become a physical therapist assistant and I'm considering getting a NASM certification in personal training, so I know allot about proper form and form correction for the prevention of injury/optimizing workload on target muscles/muscle groups. At least from a anatomy, kinesiology and personal experience with working out viewpoint.

16. Animal

Hero

That's awesome, but I think most of that is covered for the time being! :smiley: