Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Game is very hard for players that are still prey.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SenseiSpades, May 18, 2017.

1. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Dire Zombie

I remember Jonah Veil threatening to level Calfadar when Imperium held it, because the mass of noobs inside didn't want to fight 15+ Council of Elders. Of course we went out and fought him because we knew him and his no lifers would destroy the noobie city, which harbored a ton of beginner payers. And of course, the band of vets destroyed a unorganized and inexperienced group of new players.

That is the mindset of vets. They pick on the weak and then tell you why you need to deal with it.

2. Nef

Nef Wildtribe Mage

This isn't entirely true, there was a lot of fun fights with Imperium... I think these issues arose from the stagnant/pathetic population of UW. Pretty much just starving for PvP so when you find 30 people hiding in their city's... meh

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Dire Zombie

When Imperium was alive, the game was far from dead. DFO players love to say how the population just died immediately after release and that is a flat out lie. Imperium had a ton of people active for months. The clan was so large we had to split it into sub groups/clans. The Death Alliance had just as many if not more. There were 1000s of people playing at this time. In reality, the jaded vets quit, which meant "everyone" quit. I never played DFO, so I cannot comment, but I loved DFUW.

But I shouldn't say most vets though, because most vets aren't elitists. Keide was pretty much there, but he taught me so much about the game and helped a lot of people. People can claim that he hacked, but I know how insanely good he is at Darkfall from dueling with him for days. I'll even give Aim Bot and Mag some props for helping. Aim Bot taught me more in 2 hours about the game than I had learned in probably 2-3 months.

4. n0mad

n0mad Goblin Warrior

join a clan

5. Vipersfang

Vipersfang Goblin Warrior

one thing that would of made a difference to give noobs a head start would of been noobie shield for 7 days not 24 hours.

SomeBK and magicaxebow like this.
  6. Cincere

Cincere Skeleton Archer
    Hero

There is not near enough of us.

Mycke likes this.
  7. cinderblock

cinderblock Goblin Scout
    Supporter

Being able to sell your goods and buy your gear easy would be helpful I think to new players. The hard part about being ganked, is it's hard to get geared up in the first place (deal with having to do every transaction in person, or craft all your own gear). If you can sell your resources easily and turn it into gold then go to some kind of player vendor and buy some new gear it will make dying not nearly as painful.

8. jefftxp

jefftxp Deadeye

Towers just need to extend further. Right now noobs get slaughters at goblin spawns, lol. I'd rather have the beginner area covered with towers than have newbie protection. Or, allow newbie protection out to the further NPC cities

9. hirve

hirve Goblin Shaman

so theres 3 groups of players in this game atm

- vets, who sat on their exploits for the whole beta and now have insanely levelled chars
    - trolls who sat on their exploits for the whole beta and are now abusing the alignment system to kill new players
    - new players, who have no reason to continue playing when overwatch is more fun without having to grind for 2 months

i dont think think anyone can honestly claim they didn't see this coming lol

10. Yourlordandsavior

Yourlordandsavior Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Just because someone played more than you and more effectively than you doesnt mean they are exploiting.

11. clandestino2a

clandestino2a Skeleton Archer

i'm a new player and have fun, but yes i don't see the game as a FPS but as what it is, a mmorpg.

12. jefftxp

jefftxp Deadeye

Where is this constant pvp happening? Im out grinding in newbie zones often and I rarely see reds. I've yet to be successfully ganked so far, but I'm also a vet and know how to escape. However, I play in starter zones for the most part and I rarely run into reds. Maybe once per days.

So where are you dying every time? I'll come farm there and protect you

13. Galwen

Galwen Goblin Shaman

Finally someone that has a realistic view of this game and that is no afraid to say the truth.
    Sorry to say but RoA is not different from the original Darkfall, it has the exact same flaws, and it will end in the exact same way, just faster.

And I am sad because I am still waiting for a sandbox PvP MMORPG that will be successful.

:cry:

14. HiramA

HiramA Goblin Warrior

My two cents for this thread...

Darkfall needs more sand, but most importantly sand that non hardcore pvpers enjoy and profit from. A lot of lessons can be taken from Eve in this regard. There are tons of carebears in Eve that barely pvp yet have a blast contributing to their corps/alliances via mining, industry, PI, exploration, salvaging, invention, etc. It's also easier for a corp to protect these guys if they get attacked. It can take 5+ minutes to try and come to the rescue of a harvester in DF even if they're close to their clan city. Plus in Eve it's easier to notice an enemy coming (outside of WHs). I don't think harvesters/carebears should be extremely hard to kill in DF, but probably harder than it is now. The game needs population and it needs carebears, as much as that may annoy some vets. Carebears and casuals are more important to the success of a sandbox game than uber1337z0r PvPers.

Another issue is that in DF a low skilled char is not of much use in most fights. Maybe in a huge siege where they're rez bots. But what's a guy with 25-30 in all stats running around with 40 points in greatswords really going to contribute to a fight? In Eve a day 1 newbie can tackle ships worth 2000x the cost of their own to secure a kill for his corp, and doing so makes him the hero of the fight. Not saying day 1 or day 2 characters need to be as powerful as characters people have spent weeks grinding up... but there should be something they can contribute to a fight besides another body in the line of fire. Maybe some sort of bandage skill that takes cloth and requires a resting target to help his friends heal faster, or a lend stamina style spell tied to crappy robes somehow so a newbie can feed stats but vets can't abuse it? Just something for the new guys to do to feel like they're contributing more to PvP than being cannon fodder.

So far I've been having a lot of fun in DF again, and I hope the game stays as active as it is currently... but we need casuals and carebears to succeed.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  15. Stormsblade

Stormsblade Goblin Warlord

This is a great post.
    Fortunately that seems to be the route that DnD is taking.

I'd love to see the teams merge.

16. Cincere

Cincere Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Full loot blows... its always been this way... the time consuming regear and travel back from bindstone(not everyone has an unlimited supply of mounts to just keep going back to give away and they damn sure don't have the gear)

It doesn't matter what kind of game it is.. the grief to fun ratio in darkfall has always been overwhelmed with grief. There are only a handful of people that want to keep it that way.. every time you mention doing away with full loot... they will say..(that's the only thing that makes this game fun) Its the only thing that makes it fun for that specific handful.

That hand full of people are the same handful of people who came from the beginning... and are here now spewing the same shit that keeps this game down. Now you have new people who have actually come to try this game and are getting griefed right back to games that are well... Of the times.

If this games mechanics were different full loot may very well work... but its not gonna work and its even more obvious now than ever.

What need to be done, is give everyone a pvp on and off switch and go from there.. give it a 10 minute cool down. On the separate continents and center of agon... the pvp switch doesn't work.

Put alignment back the way it was so that other races are red to those unaligned starter towns.. reguardless of pvp switch. Give a perimeter around holdings in which the pvp switch is null as well. Walking into those lines with switch instant... 10 minute timer to go back to off when leaving the perimeter.

Try that and see what happens.

There is also alliance issues as well that need to be addressed or totally ditch friendly fire when in a group.

17. Kaizen

Kaizen New Member

This would have been nice. I stayed within the bounds of the safe zone until I had a few hours left before deciding to turn in a quest I had outside of the zone. Ever since then the quality of gameplay has plummeted. For a while there, the same guy managed to find me over and over again no matter where I went hah.

Eventually the game went from trying to get quests done, exploring, and farming to trying to scrape up something so you're not naked, getting murdered, and starting over. The fun and adventure has departed, now it's just some masochist cycle. The local ores are always tapped, the ones further out may be full but they are patrolled by red dudes. I wouldn't have a problem with crafting a quick set of chain and r0 weapon to get back out there.

This game sounded really neat until I got to try it. I'm interested in see what the Devs will do, if anything, to address these problems.

18. Wendigo

Wendigo Dire Zombie

Hmmm... but I can't loot in OverWatch.

19. RobTheAxe

RobTheAxe Goblin Warlord

They wont do anything, the answer is persist, learn how to survive, learn where to go.. get good basically.

The core flaws do remain, personally I like the idea of making good gear easier to obtain and destroyed on gank. We will see what the devs think of and settle on, the population is great right now

Certainly part of the trouble is that some groups are super, super experienced, know how to pvp, know how to farm, and they have a massive leg up on noobs who will take months to learn these things

magicaxebow likes this.
  20. Wendigo

Wendigo Dire Zombie

Gather the other noobs. Start a gang. Make it a real big gang. Burn the holdings down of anyone who fucks with you while mining. Send a message.

Uncle Jo, magnum orkus and Imrys like this.