Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Free To Play With Freemium

Discussion in 'Project Suggestions' started by notdoon, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Wizard of Yndor

Wizard of Yndor Dire Zombie

I wouldn't expect too many players to download a game and all that just for a 7 day trial of a sub fee game. I didn't bother with it. Besides my gaming computer is acting up.

2. Korag

Korag Oak Lord
    Hero

yes of course who would wanna try a game that was free for 10 days that was also extended a couple more days.

3. Wizard of Yndor

Don't get me wrong, just because there are lots of potential players waiting for RoA to get them, that doesn't mean those players would find RoA over night. It would still take a few months to entice players to drop what they are doing, and pick up on a new game. Players are a very precious resource in the online gaming world, it's not easy to simply grind with a pick, or axe, and farm up a population.

4. soulpcbr

soulpcbr Goblin Warrior

Yes. Do this however only after the game is ready. It's not good for people to come in and have nothing to do but die for The Prodigy and the WW.

5. Luckyy

Luckyy Goblin Scout

Maybe the runebooks could be used to promote a sub in a freemium world;
    one could
    - make charges cost 1 portal-shard less for premium users
    - give premium users a charge to their runebook in the paperdoll every X hours
    not too much pay2win in my opinion

Wizard of Yndor likes this.
  6. Korag

Korag Oak Lord
    Hero

If anything rune books with be a premium only option.

7. Wizard of Yndor

Yeah. Runebooks would be a good type of game feature that could be leveraged to entice F2P players to drop some money on the game.

I could envision lots of nifty ways RoA could work F2P, while offering products/services that players would pay for, and still avoid the "pay to win" traps. But needless to say, any sort of f2p model would have to have some pretty heavy restrictions on the f2p characters.

8. LisaL

LisaL Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

NO NO NO. The last thing this game needs is p2w.
    --- Post updated ---
    Do you have any idea how much money riot makes from skins? Do you know how much AV made from DFUW seletine shop? People bought all kinds of crap from it. I did as well.

9. Wizard of Yndor

Well umm. Actually, no I don't know those figures. I just see rune books as a convenience feature, not p2win. But I would be happy to see all sorts of (non- p2win) options. Cosmetics are always a good selling product, provided they look good. I'm not sure how well the old DFO game engine could handle the extra data packets during large battles however. But it would be cool if there was a way to make it work.

10. LisaL

LisaL Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

Special house addons, weapon skins, custom haircuts/colors, race/name changes, mount skins, etc are all great. Like legit how many people would buy a reindeer/sleigh mount skin and rock it for the holidays? There is so much they can do and it doesn't effect combat/gameplay, and people will spend money. Even minor instances of p2w can have real negative effects.

11. Korag

Korag Oak Lord
    Hero

I personally wouldn't buy that kind of shit but ya adding it as a skin is ok, even better to add special drops like that to mobs so that the collector/pve type crowd comes back and ricks death to make such collections happen

12. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Team Lead

f2p would be heavily restricted if we ever did anything like that. No home ownership, limited global chat, limited PM, restricted bank space, reduced gathering speed/no special resources, no access to crafting masteries/artisan crafting etc. Basically, reduce all the reasons for you guys to run 10 alts farming.... That being said we don't have any plans of F2P in the near future.

13. Korag

Korag Oak Lord
    Hero

Thanks for clearing that up.

14. Andrew

Andrew Black Knight
    Staff Member BPG Representative

To further clarify it is something we are planning to work towards however there's a lot of changes we want to finish making we feel are important before we go down the freemium route. We are keeping it in consideration while designing presently so that we can have good incentives to subscribe that don't ruin the core experience much.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Wizard of Yndor and Korag like this.
  15. LisaL

LisaL Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

Sums up some big reasons for a dead game. The fact that you realize people would run 10 alts to farm is a huge red flag at terrible core design. TERA is free, League is free, I don't see anyone making 10 league accounts to enjoy the games. People needing alts to talk to other players? lol. Also kindly explain why since I can level everything, that I would want to have a character for crafting high level stuff? Oh right, again, terrible core design. Who would of thought, people don't want to stare at a craft bar slowing moving for 10, 20, 30+ minutes.

Andrew is right about one thing, there is a lot of changes that need to be done to make this game work.

Side note, activity was up during the free week right? Those are not your customers, those are real players and an alive world. Those are the people going to keep the game fun for your customers. Keeping them out is a terrible idea. People will spend money on this game, but a sub model for this game is going to keep hurting more than ever helping. People are STUNG by the previous company, and the title itself, plus the fact you guys would be considered indie at best... This is ludicrous in nature, either have a successful game and monetize properly, or the game is likely to bleed out at some point. TERA launched as a sub game. It died. It was revived as freemium, and the population exploded.

I'm also not suggesting going F2P and calling it a day. I'm suggesting fixing the remaining broken issues, revamping the shop, and transitioning into a better monetizing model that benefits both current players, old players, returning players, and new players. In the mid to long term, it will probably save the game and possibly even make it more profitable than currently. The best part about freemium, is that now you aren't restricted to $10 per player income. When I was into league, I spent more than I would on a sub in the shop.

16. Slayven

Slayven Black Knight
    Legend

Wildstar fermium is the best I’ve seen to date..they really did a good job with it..the structure they have for is brilliantly placed in my opinion. Enough amminitys to keep free people around. Just my opinion of coarse.

17. Korag

Korag Oak Lord
    Hero

Tera is crap the pvp is crap and not fps, Leage is an arena why would you need even 2 accounts in an arena? People use multiple accounts in Darkfall because it can be an advantage to them to do so just like it is/was in many online games that allow harvesting I mean duh??
    Numbers are still up meaning a lot of those people subbed after the free time derp

You are so clearly out of touch if you believe people will not pay for something if it is good and complete, darkfall is very good it is just very incomplete at this time and if/once they finish it sub or not it will be successful.
    Tera died because it was boring after 30 days and freemium didn't bring it back it kept it a float, freemium doesn't revive games it allows them to stay a live while they improve/work on content, I feel for you if ya actually believe those games are doing good just because they have a freemium model it makes ya sound extremely ignorant. Doesn't matter what a game costs it only matters how good/fun it is to play and if it has content that keeps people wanting to play. It is very simple and basic logic

18. Wizard of Yndor

Those mostly sound like reasonable restrictions to put on F2P accounts, and I could think of a few more too. The only restriction that you mentioned that I do not agree with is the reduced gathering speed. Sheep population is good population for DF, so I wouldn't want to restrict gathering speed.

However, I think that a limit on how much resources could be gathered, and stored, combined with a NO TRADE (between players, and clan banks) restriction would be a better way to limit the 10 alt account/RMT issue.

I would probably take the "no trade" restriction one step further, and apply a "no player looting" restriction on any items over R40, and certain other high end mats. If F2P players wants the good stuff, they have to PvE farm it, buy it from a player vendor, or upgrade their account. This would also limit trading items/mats by players trying to game the "no trade" system by simply killing alts. Perhaps allow a few exceptions to the "no trade" restriction for certain items, like Stone, wood, or other basic items.

Other F2P restrictions I would consider:
    - Limit how much gold the bank can hold.
    - No interaction with siege stones. None. Zero. Can't use, buy, sell, trade, damage, or interact with in any way.
    - Limit rune book use.
    - Restrict access to certain epic boss monster spawns, or make certain monsters immune to F2P damage, or looting.
    - Limit F2P to the main continent only? The idea here is to concentrate the population.
    - ...Other stuff...

One of the beauties of the F2P community at large, is that those players will readily overlook the deficiencies of a game. DF has a lot of warts on it. F2P players don't care about those little details as long as they are having fun, and do not feel forced to cough up money to have that fun. Eventually, a lot of them have so much fun with their games, that they turn into paying customers. RoA needs population, and paying customers. Hook them with F2P, and they will come, and populate the world. And when they discover how much they enjoy the game, they will pay. Do F2P right, and it is a win/win for RoA.

19. Korag

Korag Oak Lord
    Hero

can drop stuff on the ground now case ya forgot that part a little way around trading so long as ya comfortable with person your wanting to trade

20. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Team Lead

maybe not slower resource gathering just no special ores/house mats. I don't mind people trading. I don't think f2p players should have access to clan banks. No access to higher then a specific rank in a clan. F2P needs to be limited to the point where every paying customer doesnt have 10 F2P alts gathering/crafting/whatever. Maybe only allowing paid accounts to duel client.