Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Elo Rating System for Darkfall and Rules of submission

Discussion in 'Events' started by MikeJT, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MikeJT

MikeJT Spellgazer
    Supporter

Current Elo Ratings Darkfall: Rise of Agon

1. Wally World 1181
    2. Dark Templar 1093
    3. Buff Bot 1060
    4. and Bape 946
    5. Sero Nys 913
    6. The Prodigy 907
    7. Magnetic Man 900
    8. Aristos Giannes 1000*

* - Player has not fought debut match.

Okay people want Elo rankings so here we go.

1. Everyone starts with 1000 Elo. We use a value of 100 for K.

2. To be a valid fight, it has to be Best of 3 to decide a winner.

3. No gear restrictions, use what you want. Mounts not allowed (debate on that if you want).

4. No avoiding a duel against a lower ranked player^. You are obligated to make a time and date for a duel within 2 weeks of first request unless you have a valid reason (if you can log in to whatever you can log in for a duel). ^Player must be within 150 Elo of your score, or must be the next highest ranking player. Maximum of 1 duel request per player if there is any ranked players between you. To prevent duel request spam.

5. If you avoid a duel with a lower ranked player less than 100 Elo below you, you automatically lose. This is to stop people deliberately avoiding matches to maintain their ELO.

6. No extra points for winning in bad gear. Don't ask for them.

7. Evidence of the win is required for Elo rankings to be changed. YouTube video link or screens of both you and your opponent agreeing who won. Whatever. If there's any argument over who won, we'll open it up for a judgement.

8. Duels interrupted by external forces are forfeit. You are responsible for your own security during the fight. Don't cry if you lose 2 Q4 bags fighting.

9. You may wager on duels if you choose to do so but they're not a requirement for a fight. See 4 and 5. No avoiding duels, ever. "Wager not big enough" is not a valid excuse.

10. Any area is a valid duel area. You may define your valid play area as you wish. Suggest marking the area with fun-flags to ensure the valid duel area is fully understood. Exceeding the valid duel area means you lose. Win by OOB is a win. Don't cry.

11. If you can't agree on a duel area, one will be decided for you. PM me on here to adjudicate. Please see 4 and 5.

Volunteer judges would be handy. Open to suggestions on pre-determined arenas.

Link evidence video on here (either from your own perspective, or third party).

Throw your names down and I'll start tracking Elo in an Excel spreadsheet.

GLHF.

Edit: K value changed to 100 from 40 as I know people like big numbers.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 MikeJT, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Didn't some guy set up a website for this during beta? You should hit him up and ask if you can take over. I can't remember the name but you could probably find the old thread

3. MikeJT

MikeJT Spellgazer
    Supporter

Probably. If this takes off I'll probably do the same.

Can I count you in?

4. Aristos Giannes

Hero

As long as someone on the server can make me some sarracenias then yeah i'm interested

5. MikeJT

MikeJT Spellgazer
    Supporter

I'm sure you can. But denying a duel because you can't find a staff you want is not a valid reason. You'll have 2 weeks to source it though.

6. Aristos Giannes

Hero

As long as there's more than one R70 staff crafter on the server I don't see it ever being an issue

7. Zorak

Zorak Dire Zombie
    Supporter

Really your duel system doesn't seem fair enough.
    For a duel to be fair, each player cannot have a gear or character advantage over the other that would help them win the fight.
    This means you cannot use gear, and you cannot take stats into account.
    Each character starts with mana missle and melee, but melee swings faster on characters with higher quickness, so we can't allow melee.
    Since every character has mana missle, a duel should be with mana missle only, since they all fly the same speed.
    But some players have more health than others and different regeneration rates, so really we can only determine a victor by the first mana missle that hits (directly to allow more skill).
    If a player runs out of mana or stamina we must declare a draw, since players have different regeneration rates and stat pools.
    Therefore duels should consist of 2 players with R0 slow staves starting 100 meters away, and the first to hit the other player wins. That seems the fairest to me. Although the player with higher Quicken Lesser Magic has the advantage, so it seems there really isn't such a thing as fairness in Darkfall.

TLDR: Duels are pointless and don't show who is the "better" player. Play the game for what it is. If you want skillful FPS duels, you're playing the wrong game.

Ringo Starr likes this.
  8. MikeJT

MikeJT Spellgazer
    Supporter

This isn't entirely true. As your character increases in power you will most likely climb the Elo rankings over time.

As more people join the rankings tables there will be more people who you can fight who are skilled matched and over time you character will probably improve in skills and therefore improve your position in the Elo tables.
    --- Post updated ---
    Added some people to Elo rankings tables due to evidence of duels.

9. Zorak

Zorak Dire Zombie
    Supporter

I guess if you take skill to mean how much time you put into swinging on mobs, sure.

My point was that Darkfall isn't a competitive 1v1 game. It makes no sense when each player will use anything at their disposal to reach any goal they want in the game.

What if I convinced a player to duel me for gold, saying I wouldn't use mounts, but I bring 3 mounts and kill him and take his gold? Did I win? I believe I won because I now have his gold, but he will say I lost because I used mounts.

There is no win or lose in Darkfall, only people's perceptions of it.

If you put restrictions on the combat, it's to somehow make it more "fair", but as I pointed out, this game is not fair. So the restrictions are supposed to do what, then? Just make sure players play to your specific idea of how the game is supposed to be played?

If the restrictions are to make the combat somehow more "skillful", I can tell you that a pre-arranged 1v1 is not even close to the level of "skillfulness" that can be expressed in this game.

mrW and JetBoom like this.
  10. Dunk Slammington

Dunk Slammington Goblin Warlord

Save me the time and just put me to fucking 0

MikeJT likes this.
  11. MikeJT

MikeJT Spellgazer
    Supporter

I'm sure once more people actually start getting ranked there will be plenty of people you can beat.