Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Early Access Road Map 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jan 7, 2017.

1. s3rv0

s3rv0 New Member

Could you please improve sound settings? Right now you can't change much in it, like no amiance loop, no volume settings etc.

Thank you.

RootedOak likes this.
  2. Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel Goblin Shaman
    Legend

So much this^^^

I know its beta but its getting ridiculous to find people to craft for you.

RootedOak likes this.
  3. Korak

Korak Goblin Shaman
    Legend

If you release the nithron coin store during beta it should either be free, or a fraction of the price that it will be at launch. Not fair paying full price to test a new system in a beta that's going to be wiped.

RootedOak likes this.
  4. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Celestial
    Legend

well now maybe the same couple of clans of elites wont own half the map. maybe without those said clans or large alliances laying siege to every holding smaller clans will actually live in these holdings and spend time building them up with less fear of them being stolen once its done. This will lead to MORE PEOPLE actually playing the game and out harvesting materials.

the world map should not be a playground for the top percent to just zip around at will owning everything and everyone at whim. In fact Id be happy if they made it so a clan can only have one or two holdings max.

if there are empty holdings available on the map you will probably see alot smaller groups splintering off from bigger clans leading to smaller scale fights all over the place.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Sacrillegious

Sacrillegious Fire Elemental
    Hero

just launch the game

Schnid likes this.
  6. Green Chili

Green Chili Fire Elemental
    Legend

Yea, we all know the DF's can be very tedious, but at some point there has to be some type of long term grind , at the very least to keep pure crafter types interested beyond the first month or 2. They already drastically cleaned up the character grind. I know grind is not content....unless you like to grind.

When it comes down to it, not a single craftable weapon or armor is truly useless, they may be impractical to use or more cost prohibitive than others, but not useless.

Just because all of us that have already played the game for more than 2 years refuse to use anything less than R50s, doesnt make R20s useless, it just makes them annoying newb traps that vet crafters have to waste time, money, and resources on just throw them away, so they can get to the good stuff.

If DF was a brand new MMO that no human has ever played (no clan funded super optimal crafting grind) Dawnstaff would be everyday gear, R10 = Baller R20= Over Powered.

It might not be an elegant solution, but it seems that the crafting grind is necessary to hopefully SLOW DOWN the snowball effect of early adopters of the game. I think anything they can do to accomplish this is probably better for the long term balance/health of the game. Like I said, not elegant, but better than nothing. IMO
    --- Post updated ---
    Thats a bingo!

While were at it, take city resource nodes out of cities. Maybe look at Pink Taco's siege idea.

7. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Obsidian Golem
    Hero

No, there doesn't. Look at UO or ask someone that played it in its prime. You could log in day one and start making useful gear and repairing gear. You could max a crafter in like a week of casual play for one trade. Did people quit the game in droves because they didn't have a grind? No. In fact, more people played the game because it was so accessible and noob/solo friendly. Despite its simplicity it had by far the best crafting system and economy of any game I have tried, including mortal and DFO. This was without a crafting grind, without a limit on crafting (you could make 5 chars so most people I played with had a maxed out crafter in all trades as one char) and with vendors selling basic resources!

The grind serves no purpose other than an entry barrier. Some might argue its good to delay gear progression but they have to also remember that delay will impede a new player that starts the game at a later date. Its a double edged sword that more often than not cuts the casuals and new players the deepest and contributes nothing entertaining to the game.

Circa, Schnid and skreww L00se like this.
  8. VVolfgang

VVolfgang Fire Elemental
    Legend

Whatever grind has been taken away from character development seems to be moving over to crafting. Would have liked to seen a land tower discussed, that would add some excitement. I hope we don't have 78902743908 more mastery's by the time it's all done. Maybe the crafting grind and gold sinks won't be so bad...at least we can only hope. Everyone doesn't have the time to grind hundreds of thousands of gold in order to craft up to decent mastery levels to get good gear.

9. Green Chili

Green Chili Fire Elemental
    Legend

I did not play UO and only lasted a month or so in Mortal (too buggy first impression), so I won't speak to how good or bad they were or the ease of duplicating them.

I will say that it seems UO is frequently quoted as inspiration for BPG'S vision of DF, so I assume many of them have played it. Assuming they are devoted to make the best decision they possibly can to protect their investment in DF, and if some of them are familiar with UO's economy and crafting but are not considering adding it maybe they don't think it will work in DF, or maybe they can't or simply don't want to(unlikely?)....other reasons. Point is, they have already shown the direction they want to go, so we, as the community can only work with what we are given.

This is pretty much what I was saying in my post, so I agree with this part. It's not elegant.

10. Myater

Myater Black Knight
    Hero

No added content once again. Until something is done content wise this game will fail 100% and everything you have done so far and everything on this list will be 100% pointless as this helps people get started but none of it actually retains the players and keep them interested after they get to late game.

Mc Nasty, Circa and aparks like this.
  11. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Eodrin
    Legend

Crafting SHOULD be hard and a choice

Either you focus on your character grind and gear for pvp or you choose to invest into becoming a crafter

Everyone doing both is BAD

At launch there will be no issue finding crafters if the economy is done right

What makes everyone think THEY have the RIGHT to be able to make everything or even be able to make the top tier of ONE thing without working for it?

I got a homie who literally doesn't want to do anything but hit nodes, kill mobs, and be the best most well known weaponsmith in the game

So there ARE people out there that this helps and it promotes trade

I also want to point out that as a general rule of thumb the penchant for some people in this thread to want instant gratification is self destructive and bad for the long term health of the game.

Your MINDSET and the economy/ game mechanics are WRONG if you think it's acceptable that the first 4-5 tiers of an item are useless after the first week and only 1 or two ranks should be "standard" or viable"

We need a managed economy that slowly scales and promotes the use of lower rank shit for longer at launch. All mob dropped gear needs to go. Vendors can sell rank 10-20 stuff for HIGHER than the cost to craft it for gold for emergencies.

Later on you can add really rare really awesome item drops on some harder mobs

Staff magnitude and mage Pve must be reevaluated you should not be able to naked bolt down the best mobs in the game with a fuckin robe and unenchanted black bolt. For example Make rare golems rock up if you're not in melee. Make Sentinels or other mobs faster than players. Make dying to non newbie mobs actually have a punishment so people have to actually risk better gear to farm in and it brings some ADRENALINE and focus back to high end mob farming

Staffs need lower spell damage at black bolt level and higher at corpsecall level with magnitude enchant drastically changed and for slow staffs to get full benefit

Allow us to bind a staff to a spell (trust me just fucking do it)

Allow fireball to have jumpshot + speed (just trust me)

Allow bolts to have jumpshot + speed

Remove WoF or make it do something that doesn't affect movement if u need ideas lmk

Make spell reflect instant or extremely fast cast with a very short duration (3-5 seconds) to make it more skillful and reactive

Consolidate all magic protection buffs into 1 much longer cast time and stat cost buff, consolidate stoneskin+arrowsheild, Consolidate all attribute buffs into 1, consolidate all stat buffs (life, health, mana) into 1 spellchanting buff that requires 100 spell chanting so its worth grinding remove sound affects for all of the above buffs as well as gills and spell haste so the flow of combat is more natural and the element of surprise that Destroyers have is extended to mages also

Make a higher tier mage armor set than bone that scales in cost and power as much as destroyer gear

Let alfar create a Legendary staff like Mirdain can do for bows (no one uses Illshard especially NOT ALFAR man)

Make legendary weapons BETTER by adding a small amount of life leach. Haste is totally useless if you have a buddy

Reduce magma knock up allow both speed and damage upgrade on it to compensate

Increase cooldown on slashing/peircing/bludgeoning arrow/ slow melee/ slow archery debuffs

Balance Leenspar golem ores/skins with the other golems

Make city mines refill 0-100 at one time each day with a way for people to figure it out to show up and fight for it. NO MORE FREE SHIT FOR AFK ALTS. Defend it or lose it!

Make guild tabards, and remove party icons, alliance icons, and clan, icons above peoples heads

Make Flags that higher rank players can carry on their back with their guild colors/symbol for distinguishing in large fights. Players and clans should have to wear something unique if they want to be visually identified without being hovered over.

Make politics, clans, and clan ranks MEAN something

There should ONLY be 1 Supreme General per clan. And 3 Generals per clan. Supreme Generals should be able to buy a special crown and cloak in the nithcoin shop, Generals should be able to buy special cloaks. Add Raptor mount skins in the shop for Generals and Supreme Generals. ONLY CLANS WITH 10+ players should get these benefits for their SG/G we dont want a bunch of 1 man clans running around.

Sieges every city should have a set unchanging 4-6 hour vulnerability time every day. Players should NOT get to choose their vulnerability windows (ill explain why if you want).

Instead they will know "if we take this holding we HAVE to be prepared to defend it at these times"

There is an 6 hour period where literally NO ONE of ANY time zone is going to want to be sieged between roughly 4AM eastern and 10AM eastern. So almost nothing needs to go vulnerable during that time

Holdings vulnerability windows need to be different based on holding value and the expected population for example if we expect 60% of the population to be NA 35% EU and 5% other distribute the vulnerability windows to holdings accordingly

Politics/Sieges.

Sieges will go live exactly 24 hours after being dropped if you drop an hour after the holdings Vulnerability start time then u have 1 hour less time to complete the siege.

During a Siege only Clan members of the sieged city may bind at the city stone all allied clan members will be rebound to the nearest chaos or alliance holding stone which ever is closest. Defenders will have NO WAY TO END THE SIEGE EARLY they must simply survive the duration.

Attackers and ALL ALLIED CLAN members will be rebound to the Siege Stone for the duration of the siege (if you want to be allies then you have to ACTUALLY COORDINATE AND BE ALLIES). Siege stone becomes local bank clan or alliance wide

Attackers must have extra objectives of varying difficulty depinding on the holding and its value to complete DURING THE SIEGE like capturing a control point (say the mine for example which should be outside the city) Or fully destroying all gaurd towers. Some objectives for the superior holdings should even REQUIRE a warhulk before being able to take down the stone

If a siege is successful everything but the bank and church should be fully destroyed. The new owners should have to rebuild it and the costs per building should be lowered with that in mind.

Anyone not allied to either the attackers or defenders that enters a City tile while it's being sieged will receive both a combat debuff AND either a Meditation point or even -1 staf loss if they die. If the person who killed the scroacher WAS a part of the siege they leach those points

Attacking clan must not have allied any other clan for at least 7 days to siege

Attacking clan must be at War with the Defending clan for at least 7 days to drop a siege

Defenders must be allied for 5 days to get allied status instead of scroacher status

Anyone who hasn't been in the attacking clan for at least 7 days or the defending for 5 gets scroach status

In order for a clan to siege a hamlet you must have 10 active subscription accounts for 7+ days

And15-30 depending on which city

There should be a special superior farmable buff for the defending clan that requires them to kill a Fire Dragon or Demon to get a 4 hour superior clan wide War Prayer that can only be used at the church if they've been sieged and only works in their city tile

Every holding should offer minor clan wide buffs for X amount of time that you can Continuously farm different resources for and turn in as an offering to the gods at your church. Some holdings should give better buffs than others and you should only get 1 buff per church at an exponentially increased cost per buff.

Items crafted in player citys should get better stats depending on the city

In order to maintain tower protection members must farm X number of crystals per hour of protection.

Basically we need up keep costs to keep people out farming and members should have to kill X number of monsters around their holding or something bad happens if they don't

And SOME resources need to be scarce, perishable, and necessary even for long term veterans requireing them to sometimes still farm or kill farmers, do villages, land/sea towers, or trade routes even after playing for years

I also think that once an item is damaged for the first time it breaks its "seal" thus gaurunteeing an eventual disintegration date

We need stuff leaving the economy faster and having to be replenished long term
    @Andrew @MWTaylor @kilrain you asked me to cut down my post in Game Discussion well this is the best I can do
    --- Post updated ---

Not if the economy and loot faucets are dynamic aka start out really low but slowly rare ore ect becomes easier to obtain

There's no reason we even need everything dropping on day 1 tbh

Just look at WoW for an example of keeping people chasing the carrot

#51 Battle Smurf, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Towel, Circa, BeatIt and 3 others like this.
  12. Reptar

Reptar Ghost
    Legend

Genuinely don't understand why you're removing one of the few reasons to even own holdings. Removing fast travel is an awful change. Please don't actually do this.

RootedOak and aparks like this.
  13. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Spellgazer

portal chambers removed from holdings, why would you remove incentives to conquer in a conquest game. Why not try implementing things mainstream players who only play 1-2 hours a day would enjoy like Que up arenas, reduced grind, and lore.
    -GG 2017.

RootedOak and RagnarokDel like this.
  14. aparks

aparks Black Knight
    Legend

You all just need to be happy you can play df1 again even if it's turning into DFUW 2.0. I still think they should have bought uw instead would have saved them a massive amount of time with all their dfuw like changes. But either way I'll play even if i just live in a chaos city and grief people.

15. RagnarokDel

RagnarokDel Frostjarl
    Hero

http://www.darkfall-info.com/map/
    --- Post updated ---
    What they do in some games during beta is just give nithron coins to players during beta or the money spent during beta gets refunded and transfers for launch.

=============

I forgot whoever it was that mentionned it but I entirely agree with adding an arena in the game. It's 2017, even PvE games have arenas.

Fengor likes this.
  16. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Celestial
    Legend

Not sure if this is official or not but one dev mentioned in discord they were thinking of letting things bought in beta like also transfer to launch.

Like if you bought a race change , you would automatically get one at launch as well.

This was mentioned a while back before they even decided they were definitely going to have race changes though.

17. Zaffa Hex

Zaffa Hex Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Do you guys have an old UW dev on the team? Starting to seem that way, just adding bad UW features/crafting system to this game.

No original ideas at all on the team? That's a shame. After so much talk of the potential of this game!

No content - redcued character grind/power gap - increased crafting grind/gear power gap. That doesn't achieve much imo.

GL @ launch. I expect the game will be pretty dead again after 4 months. ;(

The whole 'its beta, it will pan out differntly at launch' is pretty retarded. If it is not much fun and there is not much to do now, nothing changes in that regard because a game is live. The only thing that chnages is people will interact with the new 'cotnent' aka grind for a few months before geting bored again.

I honestly think the only key failure of the game you have addressed at all is the gui copntrols to get rid of macroing. That is it...

18. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Gravelord
    Hero

This is my thoughts too.
    One of the biggest reasons people will not want to play this game will be it's current travel system.
    Dont be afraid to create runebooks.
    I fear this game isnt going to survive without them... Other games have picked up on the fact that players dont like to Autorun from A to B anymore... since .. umm.. everquest.

So like ... create runebooks and do away with AV's shitty ass portal system...its garbage ... It's actually the juice that leaks out of the garbage bag when you take out the bag... that juice .. is AV's travel system. The best thing you guys have done in a long time was the "recall to capital city" button.. Really.. Travel in this game is boring unless maybe someone is drip feeding you mescaline... then pretty much anything is tolerable.
    --- Post updated ---

Seems like enough of the player base has spoken up about the lack of planned new content..
    I kind of feel the same way.. things like sea towers needs to be in darkfall. If we did some kind of daily capture the flag match it would be cool too.. (could develop some lore around it of course).. Skills like stealing... clothing dyes ... this is new content.

19. DestLocke

DestLocke Director of Development / Game Design
    Staff Member Team Lead Game Designer

There will be definitely be way more than 20. The first two were just part of the proof of concept.

The theory is that there will be new inherent value in all holdings based on proximity to portals around it. In most cases, holdings will have more value from a travel perspective, not less. Think about it, if you own a remote holding now (without a second or third etc) it has no portal travel possibilities; even if you have 2 cities, and one is considered "in the middle of nowhere", it has little value even as a portal hop, because it simply gets you to the middle of nowhere and that's it. With the new wilderness portal system, every holding will have value based on it's proximity to nearby portals. Yes, you won't be able to hop directly from the center of A to the center of B, but there will still be value to multiple holdings based on the portals around you and where they go.

For instance, it might make a lot of sense to take a holding on niff and a holding on cairn if there is a portal near your holding on cairn that lands near your holding on niff - so now you can bind on cairn and get to niff quick, and meanwhile there are other portals in proximity to your holding on niff and cairn that go more places. This is just an example, of course.

Another situation; you own no holdings - instead of being limited, now you might find a chaos stone that has some cool portal network options around it that make it a viable binding point, whereas historically, it had no value at all.

I think a lot of the fear with this change is the lack of understanding the scope of it, or comparing it to what UW did and the mistaken thought that it is going to be like that. If I told you we were making a change that will make the world more active, with more travel options, while creating more adventure, more encounters and more fun; would you still say it's an awful change?

For instance, if you currently own 2 holdings, your influence is point A and B; with a wilderness portal network, instead it could be point A, B, C, D and E due to the proximity of relatively nearby portals. Even if you only own one little hamlet in what now would be considered "the middle of nowhere", your influence could still be point A, B, C based on portal proximity. The only difference other than more options would be that you need to actually go out into the world to use them.

20. skreww L00se

skreww L00se Crypt Guard
    Legend

When I was on the team, really early on and not for very long, crafting was a largely discussed topic then as well.