Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Design Statement and Road Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Skeleton Archer

I read this and was like, hell yeah! I hope they enjoy reading ...
    ... really? C'mon man you were off to a good start and just couldn't help yourself.

2. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Goblin Shaman

if I want to do pvp let me do pvp, not pve.

everything in this notes is supercool but you are still missing the core issue, when I want to grind I should be able to grind, and when I want to do pvp I should able to do pvp.
    I should NEVER be forced to do one thing that I don't like in order to be able to do something that I like.
    untill pvp is not self-mainteined sorry, but I will always choose the rainbow six icon over darkfall.

3. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Frostjarl
    Hero

Sorry I'm not the happiest Darkfall fan. They've read that suggestion atleast 5-10 times throughout the past year and ignored it, if they do read it at all.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Korag

Korag Cairn Giant
    Hero

Seems your finally listening and implementing stuff people been telling ya since beginning of beta. This looks way more promising than anything else you have laid out. I am not all in on some of this but overall I think it is some good changes. That said Ill feel better about it when I see it being patched in.
    --- Post updated ---
    I cannot stand the ftp model and the amount of hackers that would entice would be way more destructive than any benefits ftp might give. When you can lose a lot hackers make a bigger difference and as we have seen when something leaves your possession in this game they are unable to confirm you ever owned it so you would never get it back.
    --- Post updated ---
    I cannot stand the ftp model and the amount of hackers that would enticew
    they have barely tapped into the new player market and the ones they did tap into see these changes advertised would be interested in checking them out. If the game is indeed better then people will give it a second chance plus doing some real advertising would make a big difference.
    --- Post updated ---
    that is the difference between an mmo and an arena do you not understand the difference? Even in mmo's with arena you have to do shit you don't like before being able to do the arena's on a more competitive level. at least a small amount and darkfall was not built to support a wow type arena
    --- Post updated ---
    that is the difference between an mmo and an arena do you not understand the difference? Even in mmo's with arena you have to do shit you don't like before being able to do the arean
    Ill agree with everything except bug free as even the biggest aaa titles still encounter bugs that is a constant.
    --- Post updated ---
    It needs to feel neccasary. Yes their are tons of pvp games where loot isn't involved and if this game was the same then it wouldn't be different and we would be ok playing those other games. Loot and even more so good loot is what makes me and many many others like this game over the others, because risk vs reward because death has meaning, it doesn't have to have that but I would not be here today if it never had that I don't last more than a few weeks/month in games that the pvp has no meaning or risk
    --- Post updated ---
    I am genuinely super curious what you hate about it
    --- Post updated ---
    It needs to feel neccasary. Yes their are tons of pvp games where loot isn't involved and if this game was the same then it woulnt be different and we would be ok playing those other games. Loot and even more so good loot is what makes me and many many others like this game over the others, because risk vs reward because death has meaning, it doesn't have to have that but I would n
    It is a scaling system based off of their current levels they drop more and more as they progress to ease them into it. I like that this game is full loot, but with they are changing it those casual new players can pvp now without fear of losing everything so they can actually gain more experience then they would before. You are def a glass is half empty kind of guy
    --- Post updated ---
    do you farm around your holding in this current version? I mean I didn't when I was playing I was all over the map all of the time and seen many people also doing the same as well as played with 20+ that also did the same thing, we fought Gentlemen on Yssam almost daily and they had 0 holdings up their at the time. Your personal feelings play to big of a role when your posting you need to attempt to objectively look at these things for the whole pop not the yourself and few friend's that like to hide in special farming spots
    --- Post updated ---
    do you farm around your holding in this current version? I mean I didn't when I was playing I was all over the map all of the time and seen many people also doing the same as well as played with 20+ that also did the same thing, we fought Gentlemen on Yssam almost daily and they had 0 holdings up their at the time. Your personal feelings play to big of a role when your posting you need to attempt to objectively look at these things for the whole pop not the yourself and few freidns that like to hide in special farming spots
    that portal network yo

5. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Goblin Shaman

Labeling won't make a difference, Dark Age Of Camelot, Elder Scroll Online, Guild Wars are mmorpg and pvp is self-sustained in those games.
    You can call this game whatever you want, mmorpg, shooter, istantgratification, I don't care, I would still not play it without a self-sustained pvp.

6. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Where you're farming is pretty much irrelevant.

If you die and it's taking you 10 minutes just to make a gearbag (which it shouldn't), but it's only taking your opponents 1 min to make a gear bag, then when you go down, your team is 1 man down for 10 mins + travel time whilst your opponents are only a man down for 1 minute + travel time.

Obviously the shorter the travel time the more relevant that 10 minutes becomes, but even over long distances, getting back to a fight 9 minutes earlier can definitely make the difference.

7. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Frostjarl
    Hero

And when people take 10 minutes per bag + pre-make it? lol

8. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Black Knight
    Hero

I mean I just have shit gear in my bank, quit a while back but it would only take me a couple minutes to put a bag together at most and my bank isn't even organized. Also why don't people have pre made ready bags?

9. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I hate making bags

10. Korag

Korag Cairn Giant
    Hero

Isn't about labels, what your asking for doesn't exist in an mmo it is just the way it is and expecting this particular mmo to do what no other is doing and do very specifically for you and a handful of others goes against what an mmo is and what other people "the majority" expect or want it to be.
    --- Post updated ---
    You just rambled here the same shit ya did in an earlier post and failed to acknowledge anything from my post. Mistaken identity again? or you just really confused by my questions/statements?

11. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Goblin Shaman

Didn't I just gave you 3 different mmorpg where self-sustained pvp does exists?

12. Korag

Korag Cairn Giant
    Hero

You just rambled here the same shit ya did in an earlier post and failed to acknowl
    One of those I consider a good game but the pvp is meaningless, You don't really get anything for doing it, it can be fun but it literally means nothing, I risk nothing.
    I guess I don't understand your thinking of "self sustained" in this particular discussion. When I think of self sustained I think log in join pvp and get skill gain, money, gear, satisfaction and whatever else I left out all from just one aspect of a game. I get some of that from ESO the other 2 were just horrible and I got none from them as I couldn't stand more than a few min of either. In the end I am left unsatisfied even with ESO (a game I like) Plus I like the other aspects of mmo's like the crafting and gathering all of those things go into a world and if done right help with immersion and all sorts of other things I don't fee like typing. I don't feel like any game has self sustained pvp aside from arena games and those have no soul.

13. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Goblin Shaman

I have two icons on my desktop, one is rainbow six siege, the other one is darkfall. I want to kill other players.
    If I click the rainbow six siege icon I join a match and I'm ready, if I choose darkfall I have to find a bank, dress up for pve, grind some mobs, find someone who craft me a bone, buy reags and a weapon and then I'm ready to die, once. Which icons do you think I'm gonna press every single time?

Dark age of camelot is selfsustained, you can start at level 1, do ONLY pvp till level 50, killing others grant you exp, money and later on realm points, and that's why it is still alive today.
    That doesn't mean that there is no pve if you want it.

Without fixing this core issue you have NO CHANCE to have a stable population.

14. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Black Knight
    Hero

I think a changing meta would also help sustain the population. The meta has been the same since the ray patch many years ago, the pvp needs to change enough to keep people interested and finding new ways to improve how they play.

Slayven likes this.
  15. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

It will change - the Character Perk System (as it is called internally) and some of the other changes listed in the road map will accomplish this.

Methodico and Wes Furtive like this.
  16. Korag

Korag Cairn Giant
    Hero

I don't know a lot about Camelot game but isn't it basically an arena? the battles are not open world nor is any other game you have listed ESO comes the closest yet it is still limited to just one zone. I cannot think of a good way to explain the difference to you. I say good luck with rainbow 6 cause it seems you want something that darkfall isn't and will likely never be. It isn't a simple game like dark Camelot it requires you to do more and be more involved not jump in and do some shit type arena hundreds of times until your max level and if that is what self sustained pvp is then I want nothing to do with it because it is stale and boring and yes people might still play it today but they don't really get into to it, they treat it like any other arena do a few matches and log off. Darkfall just isn't that type of game

17. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Infernal
    Legend

dark age of camelot is a great game, but not anywhere NEAR what Darkfall is/could be. DAoC is point and click, you group up in extremely large parties, it's got a class system, three 'realms' and the pvp in the dungeons can be cool, but the problem with daoc is that you never ever get one on one pvp, and when you get jumped you're insta frozen then dead because there's about 40 other people with spells nuking you. Darkfall gives you a chance, even if you suck at pvp, to live through the assjumping dillweeds who lurk for farmers/noobs at mob spawns etc. plus it is open world as you said. I played DAoC before coming to darkfall and sometimes i go back to check on updates etc..the 'pvp' is limited to large battle groups of around 100 people or more and it's tab targeting or aoe tab targeting. yes you can pvp from lvl 1 going all the way up every 5 levels has it's own battleground the maps are big enough to have a good bit of fun from lvl 1 to 50 with no problems and the higher you go the more people in the area. they're instanced, but the high end pvp is a sick joke, people won't go out to pvp unless their favorite 'leader' is online. the majority of the pop is over 50 and sieges can take so long that people start logging from boredom. darkfall is indeed better, it's exactly the reason i've not been able to play another mmo.

Korag likes this.
  18. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Goblin Shaman

true

Not true, I've always duo with my mate, there are many location unsuited for large party where you can find a lot of small group or duel zones and you never get instant killed (not even against raid).

I wouldn't play without my mate and a group wouldn't play without all the classes required and a capable leader, that's because daoc is a game designed to be played in group.

What you are seeing now in daoc is a mmorpg that is still alive after decades (in both form, official and private shards), that changed a lot through time but it's definitly a success and something must be learn from that.
    It's definitely not an arena game (not that I have any problems with arena games), labeling it as "something different" it's just an excuse to pretend there is nothing to be learn and prevent any major change for fear that you wouldn't recognize your favourite game anymore.

and btw, the point was that self sustained pvp can be done, forcing pvp people to do pve will never works

19. Donaddor Lightbringer

Legend

How will new alignment system affect captial recalls? Im not sure if i should be farming alignment on my alts if its gonna default to a certain timer or something after changes.

@Andrew @kilrain @MWTaylor

#99 Donaddor Lightbringer, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  20. Shivs

Shivs Deadeye

So, with little to no fast travel, most people are probably going to farm mobs around where they're bound right? So if there's an active clan, lets say Grief Goons, you're likely to find them somewhere around Gulghat, farming mobs./QUOTE]

This is not entirely true, there is nothing to farm around Gulghat, we base out of there as it gets visited, so we get pvp.

We have spent time in Ruby/Ghanalaj as we were getting lots of visitors by angry locals, even though unless you want Cobras it is not that good an Island.

A common complaint has been we don't travel to other holdings for fights, but unless there is guaranteed pvp, currently it is hard to find the motivation to travel anywhere.

With fast travel, we can get out more for only the cost of a couple of portal shards and if no one is in, try somewhere else.

#100 Shivs, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Korag likes this.