Welcome to the Darkfall: Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Better Default Bindings

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by negocromn, May 18, 2017.

1. negocromn

negocromn Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

For those that are starting, restarting or just in need of something better. Unlike the standard default bindings everything is set up to fit the actual game so the player won`t have to keep inventing and restructuring binds every time he gets a new skill or spell. Only standard and easy to access keyboard and mouse keys are used, and the general hotbar skeleton should support all playstyles and preferences with efficient keybinds (except for the mount lean binds, they are place holder and you should look to replace them if you can). Lastly, it is really easy and quick to setup everything, and even easier to update bindings as the player gain new abilities or change its specialization.

BINDINGS
    [​IMG]

SET UP
    • Download and install the configuration
      • Download the input persistance file.
      • Go to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\DarkfallRoA\Character.
      • Find your character folder and paste the file.
      • Make sure you know your sensitivity and set it back when logging in, as this will change it.
    • Add skills and spells to hotbar
      • Follow the model hotbar, determining the specifics according to your preferences.
      • The most important binds and the ones you'll be using almost exclusively are the pure keys, thanks to RoA's macro system. Don't be discouraged by all the shift and control binds, as they are mostly direct access options for spells you'll already have in your pure key rotation.
      • Entries with symbols at the end are rotations, put multiple of the requested spells/skills/items on the same hotbar slot, in order of importance. Set them as Cycle (©) or First Available (⋆) in the configurations.
      • Use the Cooldown Track hotbar as your active hotbar, filling it with spells and skills of your choosing.
    • DONE!
    EXAMPLE
    • COLUMN 2
    The second column is the first numbers column, featuring heal cycle, transfers, first sets of debuffs, other buffs and self buffs, plus all melee skills. The first three slots are going to be the same for everyone, but the others will vary a lot from person to person.

[​IMG]

The first slot, bound to 1, is heal cycle plus whirlwinds. Cycling mode is first available.
    [​IMG]

The second slot, bound to 2, is mana to stamina plus power attacks.
    [​IMG]

The third slot, bound to 3, health to mana plus disabling blows.
    [​IMG]

The fourth slot, bound to 4, is the first debuff cycle plus knockbacks. I currently don`t have any debuffs leveled, just have what I use in farming in this slot. Eventually though, this should become my standard PVP debuff cycle. I recommend having slows, meele protection debuffs and so on your first debuff cycle.
    [​IMG]

The fifth slot, bound to 5, is the first other buff cycle plus rage. Pretty embarrassing slot atm, as I have just one other buff (playing solo) and don`t have rage either! Recommend starting your first cycle with haste and ironskin.
    [​IMG]

The last slot, bound to 6, is the first self buff cycle. Using hasten spells and protections on this first self buff rotation. Make whatever rotation feels best for you tho.
    [​IMG]

#1 negocromn, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. Stress Fracture

Stress Fracture Goblin Warrior

Thank you.

That's very cool.

But I'm so confused.
    --- Post updated ---
    Where should I put Health to Mana transfer?

negocromn likes this.
  3. negocromn

Legend

Updated the thread with some examples man, hope it`s more clear now!

4. Stress Fracture

Stress Fracture Goblin Warrior

Cool thanks, this is great. I've been playing with these since you posted it last night and well. . . . I'm actually playing the game, not feeling hindered by the controls.

Rimamok likes this.
  5. negocromn

Legend

Bump.

- moved sprint and autorun toggles from lalt and ralt to , and . keys, as alt had some GUI mode problems
    - added first available markers to all weapon slots
    - added note explaining there are no mount lean bindings
    --- Post updated ---
    That's the spirit, hope you are still around man.

6. d0ggy

d0ggy New Member

What does the MOV Up / MOV Side mean?

7. negocromn

Legend

Movement up/side spells. So preferably Stormblast/Launch/Tele and Begone/Shrapnel in the normal X/Z slots, and things like Explosion and Come Hither somewhere as shift/ctrl X/Z.

8. o0megaZer0o

o0megaZer0o New Member

These bindings are extremely useful and i downloaded your preferences and I am currently using them.

It took me a couple days to make sure I understood the diagram correctly and have them working with the hotkeys, my mouse doesn't have extra buttons on it so I had to do a little remapping for the action buttons.

The only thing I could say about this is it would be great if you made a video with this same information. It would be nice to hear some things vocally, or to see your setup in action.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Omega

negocromn likes this.
  9. negocromn

Legend

Awesome man!

And I'll think about the video thing, I'm too much of a sperglord to do it I guess but maybe, it would indeed make things quicker to understand.

10. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

My problem is still understanding the diagram. Being completely new to the game. If with the extra pictures you added. Still don't necessarily help me to understand it.
    The color coding you did, isn't explained or idk what the meaning of that was for.
    Some abrv. I have no idea what they are. Xheal = Targeted heal for a friendly? Melee 1-3, Ranged 1-3 = Weapon keybinds?
    And personally how can you still move/run when you go to use a pot, or better yet a shift modifier pot. That's some fancy finger work. Unless your telling me you toggle autorun, and then use the function keys, which still is a lot of key strokes to get off a successful potion.

Currently use: Grave ( ` or Tilda), Tab, and Caps. For all my weapons keybinds. Shift-Tab, and Ctrl-Caps, are the only modifier weapon swaps I have. And on another post that you commented on that I made was about having individual bars for each weapon WHEN I swap to it. Which has been really nice. The only problem/worry I have with this setup is that it seems like a lot of binds, and modifier binds.

Personally for me maybe to rethink my ways of what I just learned, when you set it up like you have. When you hit a Ray bind for example, or a Disabling blow. Does it automatically pull out the weapon that's needed and queue up the ability for next use? OR is this setup only for hitting the weapon swap, then hit the keybind that's relative to what you want to perform with whatever kind of weapon you're holding? I just need a little more clarification. Trying to find that one GOD tier setup, or a mix of a good setup with a twist of my own to make it comfortable.

Because I'm not sure with how I changed my bindings now, it's that's leaving me open to really bad layout or not. Had a thought process of having one hotbar for each weapon/style. I.E. Staff has, healing/transfers, dmg/nukes, utility/movement, and lastly buffs. So buffs and movement could fit one one hotbar, nukes/dmg/debuffs could go on another, and heals/transfers on another. And by doing that, I'd bind the same stuff 3 different ways to get the 3 different bars to show up. But all 3 bars have the exact same 10 keybindings (1-5, Q, E, F(potentially, I haven't thought of a 5th keybind yet that I like, that doesn't interfere with too many defaults), M4, and M5. But since how you have stuff layered and some stuff in cycles, idk if I could do that on my setup and be fine still, or if my setup is shit and complicated. Like I don't know. I never had to deal with a game that had multiple weapons to use at once, then have keybinds on top of that. I almost feel overwhelmed and not sure on what's a comfortable and functional setup.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    negocromn likes this.
  11. negocromn

Legend

Well, you are feeling overwhelmed because it is overwhelming, I have never played a game with a third of the keybinds you need in Darkfall, it's a game where you need tens, maybe 50+ direct access bindings. So many that no one will ever have a perfect setup, you'll have to make compromises somewhere, that's just how it is, don't lose your mind trying to find the best possible setup because all will be flawed in some way.

Now, I would advise against using multiple hotbars, and I think most vets agree with me here. It is really easy to have problems changing hotbars, plus it adds extra steps to everything. Still, some decent players still play with multiple hotbars, but I wouldn't recommend.

The latter, you need to hit your weapon key then the skill/spell key. You can do the hit 1 key to pull weapon+skill/spell thing really well in New Dawn, but not so much in RoA, even with an external macro it is not smooth.

The colors are pretty simple, they are there just to distinguish groups of keys. Green 1 is position 1 of green area of hotbar, Red 1 is position 1 of red area of hotbar, etc.
    Yes, xheal is crossheal, and yes melee/ranged are weapon keybinds. I might reword some things.
    Hold down W with your middle finger and hit F1-F3 with either the ring finger or the index finger, doing this with shift is kind of a stretch (thats why there's no ctrl + Fx binds, it's much worse), but it's not that bad, specially considering they are alternative potion bindings.

12. Coolhandsluke

Coolhandsluke New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this! I was also using tab/caps/`/s-tab for my weapon switching from Gotjas newbie videos which was awesome but was quickly overwhelmed once I had more than just my transfers and mana missile to bind lol. Was placing them all willy nilly and ran out of the normal ones I use in other games (Q,E,R,T,F,G,Z,X,C) and couldn't remember what was binded where in the heat of the moment.

After downloading them and about an hour of practicing everything is going much smoother now. Think the biggest help was I printed out the graphic to keep next to my keyboard as a cheat sheet until I got used to where everything was. Highly recommend any other noobs doing that also, fits nicely on legal sized paper.

Thanks again negocromn

negocromn likes this.
  13. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Frostjarl
    Legend

You can put Gank and Revive on the same key if you use the icons.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Rimamok and negocromn like this.
  14. Warin

Warin Goblin Scout

Very nice, a couple of questions.

Would you put shield+1h on shift Q, and bow on shift e then?

Would it be better to put shield + 1h on shift or ctrl + 2nd mouse button so you can hit it quickly?

I often use shift / ctrl as thumb buttons and usually favor those if I need 64 keys to hit in a pvp game. But doing it in this way with more cycles and cooldown priorities is really interesting. And would require less training (which is crucial in DF since the UI is so crap and doesn't help you learn keybinds at all)

negocromn likes this.
  15. negocromn

Legend

Yes I use shift Q for sword and board and shift E as bow, but you should definitely play around with the bindings to find out what is most comfortable to you. Since you like to use thumb buttons I suggest you switch shift with m4 and ctrl with m5, I`m not sure if you can do it in game but you can probably do it using synapse and the likes.

Thanks man!

Used this in my previous setup since I had less keyboard space available, but the best scenario is to have a button for each like in this setup.

Warin likes this.
  16. Warin

Warin Goblin Scout

Do you use auto-cast on any of your hotkeys? Or are they all click once to swap weapon, once to toggle spell (or more if cycle) then left click to cast.

17. negocromn

Legend

I keep switching my heal cycle and my ray cycle on and off auto cast, still not sure.

Warin likes this.
  18. Rimamok

Rimamok Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

I know it's a little "out there", but I personally shifted my movement keys from WASD one key to the right, to ESDF . The reason is to give the pinky finger more keys to play with. Since the middle three fingers are usually involved in movement, but the pinky can be queuing actions while the other fingers do their thing.

This all started while using a Logitech G13, which gives the pinky plenty of options. But now that I've had to move back to a laptop with no G13, my pinky was underutilized, and action was required.

I doubt most players will ever abandon WASD, but I didn't find it too hard to adapt.

Nice post! Don't often see people sharing functional bindings in such detail.

Imrys and negocromn like this.
  19. Warin

Warin Goblin Scout

I used to do this in old darkfall, and was actually doing it in RoA until I switched to this.

Seems like there's less of a need for that now.

20. negocromn

Legend

Small update, after extensive testing I have added mount leans as alt+Q and alt+E, they actually work fine. I still recommend macros and additional keys for more optimal and comfortable mount leans tho.

I almost tried switching to ESDF a couple times but never did, too lazy. Seems like a really good idea in theory for Darkfall tho, it`s just that it`s hard to let go of WASD having played with it forever.